Naked Coconut Cake
I tend to do most of my baking in the Fall and reserve cool desserts like this and this for Summer. However, lately I’ve been trying out some fun and easy Summer cakes. Coconuts scream Summer, so naturally I gravitated to a recipe that allowed me to showcase this ingredient in a cake. When I think of Summer I think of pina coladas by the pool…maybe it’s just me. So I went exploring on Pinterest and was inspired to create this naked coconut cake. What makes it naked, is that it’s not fully frosted, but if you love frosting you can make it a fully clothed cake (insert giggles). There’s no alcohol so it’s safe for the kids, but it is full of rich coconut flavor. Also this cake is semi-homemade, so it’s super easy to make but the flavor and presentation will have you looking like you put in real work to create it!
- I used yellow cake mix but you can use white cake if you prefer.
- If you want to frost the whole cake use 2 containers of frosting
- You can toast the coconut that you top the cake with for added color and texture.
- Box of yellow or white cake mix (one box will make a 2 layer cake)
- 2 round 9 inch cake pans
- 1 can Cream of Coconut (I used Coco Lopez)
- 1 jar White buttercream frosting
- 1.5 cups dried unsweetened coconut flakes
- Prepare cake according to package directions, but substitute the water listed on the box, for Cream of Coconut. Reserve the remaining Cream of Coconut from the can, you will be using it in the frosting.
- Evenly divide cake into 2 round 9 inch cake pans that have been greased and floured.
- Bake cake according to package instructions. Cake is done when you can insert toothpick in the center and it comes out clean.
- Let cake cool completely before frosting.
- Mix 2 TBS of Cream of Coconut in a bowl with the entire jar of frosting.
- Fold in 1 cup of dried unsweetened coconut flakes into the frosting mixture
- Place 1st 9 inch cake on a plate or cake stand. Frost the top of the cake.
- Place the 2nd 9 inch cake on a plate or cake stand. Frost the top of that cake.
- Sprinkle remaining ½ cup of unsweetened coconut flakes on the top of the cake.
- If you are serving cake immediately or that day it can stay out at room temperature. Refrigerate cake if you are not serving it until the next day.