Creamy Spinach Stuffed Flounder
This creamy spinach stuffed flounder is filled with flavor. It’s great for those following a keto diet. It’s also one of those dishes that looks super fancy that you can serve for a special occasion, but actually only takes you 30 minutes to create.
Creamy spinach stuffed flounder ingredients
(Note: the full ingredients list, including measurements, is provided in the recipe card directly below.)
Flounder fillet – flounder is meaty enough to hold the stuffing, but it’s flavor is mild. Fresh fish is best, but you can also use frozen fillets.
Spinach – you can use fresh spinach, but I prefer frozen because you get so much more in one pack.
Bell Peppers and Onions – I love using fresh veggies to pack in more nutrients and flavor to this dish.
Heavy cream- This gives the spinach that creamy texture.
Parmesan cheese – Use freshly grated parmesan cheese. The salty, nutty flavor from the parmesan gives this dish so much life!
Lemon Juice – Citrus and fish just make a good marriage. The lemon juice brings some acid to a creamy dish to balance out the flavors.
How to make creamy spinach stuffed flounder
We’re baking our stuffed flounder because I think that’s the easiest approach. However, you can consider cooking this in the air fryer or on a pan with a little oil.
In the oven this dish is done within 20 minutes. You would probably split that time in half in your air fryer.
Use a cooking thermometer to test your fish for doneness. It should read 145 degrees Fahrenheit.
What to serve with spinach stuffed flounder
This spinach stuffed fish would be so delicious over a bed of mashed potatoes. When bits of the creamy spinach goodness spills out over the potatoes, you will do a whole body roll because it’s that good.
I would also consider serving this with rice or pasta However, if I wanted to lighten things up, I’d do grilled veggies or steamed broccoli.
What to sip with your creamy spinach stuffed flounder
If I was doing this for a special occasion a brut sparkling wine would be my go to – I think bubbles are good with everything though.
If it was just a regular shmegular weekday dinner, then I’d go for a rose, pinot grigio, or a sauvignon blanc.
Creamy spinach stuffed flounder recipe
- 2 filets of flounder (or other fish)
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 small onion
- 2 cloves garlic- minced
- 1 red bell dice fine
- 3/4 quarter cup heavy cream
- 1 cup shredded parmesan
- 1 package frozen spinach
- pinch of nutmeg
- black pepper
- garlic powder
- onion powder
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
Prep the fish
- Pre-heat oven at 350 degrees
- Squeeze fresh lemon juice over each fillet of fish.
- Season both sides with: salt, black pepper, onion powder, garlic powder.
- Set aside while you prep the cream spinach.
Creamy Spinach Filling
- Add a tablespoon of olive oil to a pan and sauté onions, garlic, and bell pepper for 5 minutes or until peppers are tender and onions are translucent.
- Add package of frozen spinach.
- Season with black pepper, salt, and a pinch of nutmeg.
- Add heavy cream and stir mixture. Cook over low heat for 5 minutes.
- Once mixture starts to bubble add cheese and turn off heat.
- Cut a slit in the side of the fish from the widest part down to create a pocket.
- Stuff with spinach mixture.
- Secure the pocket of fish with toothpicks or baking twine.
- Drizzle 1 tablespoon olive oil over filets. Place fish in a lined backing dish
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes
- Serve immediately with rice, pasta, or mashed potatoes, and steamed or grilled vegetables.
What fish should you use for creamy stuffed fish?
Other options for this dish are: salmon, halibut, and orange roughy. Any fish can work with this creamy spinach stuffing.
How to store your stuffed fish leftovers
This dish tastes best immediately after it comes out the oven. However, if you do happen to have any leftovers, store them in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to three days for optimal freshness.
If you found this helpful go ahead and pin this post to Pinterest to spread the word.
You May Also Like
TAG @mochasandmimosas ON INSTAGRAM IF YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE!