Quick and Easy Sopapillas
These quick and easy sopapillas are light, airy, sweet, and delicious. They make the perfect dessert, breakfast, or sweet snack.
What are sopapilla
Sopapillas are a popular latin dessert. They are similar to beignets because both are fried dough. Sopapillas are light and airy on the inside, with a slightly crisp edge.
They are commonly listed on dessert menus at Mexican restaurants. I’ve seen them served with powdered sugar or drizzled with honey or chocolate. I once had them ice cream on the side.
Quick and easy sopapillas
I love a quick and easy dessert. You can certainly find recipes to make sopapillas from scratch, but I like having a quick alternative, especially when you have a sweet craving and don’t feel like waiting for dough to rise and all that.
This recipe is simple and only requires 2 ingredients! You are welcome to fancy up your sopapillas when you serve them.
How to serve your sopapillas
- Drizzle with honey
- Toss in cinnamon and sugar (my favorite way to serve)
- Toss in powdered sugar
- Drizzle or serve caramel, Nutella, or chocolate sauce on the side for dipping
- Top with Ice cream
- Berry compote on the side
Other easy desserts
How to make quick and easy sopapillas
- 1 tube Flaky Biscuit dough (I used Pillsbury Grands Flaky biscuits)
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Open the tube of biscuits and pull the biscuits apart--you should have 8 biscuits
- Separate each biscuit in half---giving you 16 biscuits
- Fill a pot with 1-2 inches of vegetable oil and heat on medium high
- When oil reaches 300°F, drop one biscuit at a time in to the hot oil.
- Don’t overcrowd the pot. Do about 3 biscuits at a time.
- Cook for about 30 seconds on each side---or when dough starts to puff up and brown.
- Remove from oil and transfer to a lined paper towel.
Cinnamon Sugar mix:
Combine 2 cups white sugar, and 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon. If you are tossing in a mixture of cinnamon and powdered sugar, toss the sopapillas in the mixture when they come out of the oil, then put them on a paper towel.
Drizzle with: honey, Nutella, chocolate syrup. Or toss in powdered sugar