How to celebrate Cinco De Mayo at Home
Are you ready for Cinco de Mayo?! I am and I’m going to get you ready too. Today I’m sharing tips for how to celebrate Cinco De Mayo at home.
If you’re like me you will be celebrating Cinco De Mayo at home. I’m here to let you know, you don’t have to leave the house to enjoy yummy food and great cocktails. It doesn’t have to be complicated either. Keep reading for simple menu ideas and easy cocktail recipes for you to experience in the comfort of your home.
What is Cinco De Mayo
Cinco de Mayo officially commemorates the anniversary of an early victory by Mexico over the French in the Battle of Puebla on May 5, 1862. Contrary to what many people believe, it is NOT Mexican independence day. Now you can sound smart in the group chat!
As far as most Americans are concerned Cinco De Mayo is an excuse to enjoy Mexican food and popular Mexican cocktails (as if we need an excuse to enjoy these things).
Cinco De Mayo Party Ideas
If you want to get fancy and go all out with a fun table you can see my post on tablescape ideas. Also, this post on party planning tips will give you some decorating ideas.
Cinco De Mayo Menu Ideas
I mentioned before that I like creating food bars when I’m entertaining at home. A build your own nacho or taco bar would be the perfect food option for celebrating Cinco De Mayo at home. You can see how I created a taco bar for a previous party and get inspired for your Cinco De Mayo celebration at home.
If you have no plans to cook then check out your favorite local Mexican restaurant and order out. One of my favorite Tex-Mex restaurants in the Dallas area is this Ojedas.
Cinco De Mayo Drink Recipes
You can’t have a true Cinco De Mayo celebration without cocktails, I mean you can, but it won’t be as fun. I included 3 simple but amazing drink recipes for you to enjoy as you celebrate Cinco De Mayo at Home.
These recipes are inspired by popular Mexican cocktails. I provided an array of options for you. There’s a fruity white sangria if you’re more of a wine drinker. If vodka is your thing, you’ll love this twist on the Paloma. However, if you like to keep things traditional. I included a mango margarita for you.
Easy Fruity White Sangria Recipe
This white sangria is light, fruity, and the perfect warm-weather cocktail. You can swap out the fruits and make this sangria your own.
- 1 bottle Moscato wine
- 1/4 cup Grand Marnier
- Your favorite fruit, fresh or frozen ( I used mangoes, strawberries, and blueberries)
- 1 orange cut into small wedges
- Sparkling water or Club Soda
- Place fruit in a pitcher or Carafe
- Pour wine and Grand Mariner in the pitcher and stir.
- Let Pitcher chill for at least 2 hours
- Serve in a glass over ice and top with sparkling water
- You can use fresh or frozen fruit.
- Other great fruit options: pineapple, granny smith apples, lemon, or lime, assorted berries.
Grapefruit Vodka Paloma
The traditional paloma is made with tequila and grapefruit soda. I’ve also had it with tequila, grapefruit juice, and a splash of club soda. Not everyone is into tequila so I wanted to give you another option. This twist on the traditional paloma is refreshing and crisp. I think it rivals the original.
- 1/2 cup Grapefruit vodka
- 1/2 cup Club Soda
- Lime or grapefruit slices for garnish
- Mix grapefruit vodka and club soda in a glass.
- Add ice and garnish with lime or grapefruit.
If you want a sweeter cocktail you can swap the club soda for sprite or tonic.
Easy Mango Margarita
A mango margarita pairs so well with the taco bar. The fruity citrus flavors from this margarita will temper the heat from the salsa and tacos. If you like heat you can coat your glass with chili powder. Otherwise, you can go with salt.
- 2 cups frozen mango
- 1 cup tequila
- 1/4 cup margarita mix
- 2 cups ice
- Lime slices for garnish (optional)
- Tajin, Smoked paprika, or chili seasoning for the rim of your glass
- Place all ingredients except lime slices in a blender.
- Blend on medium speed for 1 minute (blend more if depending on your blender). The drink should look like a smooth slushy consistency.
- Sprinkle seasoning of choice on a small plate.
- Slide lemon slice around the rim of your glass.
- Dip the glass into the seasoning until the rim is covered.
- Pour margarita into the glass and garnish with a lime wedge.
Best Places in Dallas for Margaritas
If you absolutely cannot be bothered to make your own cocktails (although these cocktails are simple) then you can order cocktail making kits from one of these local Dallas spots.
Whether you decided to implement some or all of my tips for how to celebrate Cinco De Mayo at home, remember to drink responsibly and enjoy the festivities.
Looking for more ideas for how to celebrate at home?