Simple Breakfast Tostadas
Simple breakfast tostadas are the perfect meal for a weekend brunch. The best part is you can load them up with your favorite toppings and they’re great for sharing with your family.
Disclosure: This post is sponsored by A Dozen Cousins who I am thrilled to collaborate with. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
I love making these tostadas for brunch, especially when I’m feeding a group. I love an easy brunch setup. My family enjoys them because they are fun to eat and taste delicious. They are great to serve on a football (if that’s your thing) Sunday.
What are tostadas?
Tostadas are basically flat taco shells generally made of corn. For our simple breakfast tostadas, we are making mini tostadas, which gives each adult about 2-3 tostadas. Go for that 3rd one…no judgement here!
What can you use to make tostadas?
You can find ready made tostadas in your local grocery store and those are fine. But today we’re using corn tortillas that we are crisping up in the oven. I think tortillas taste better and give you more flexibility to make your tostadas as crispy as you want.
Breakfast tostadas with black beans
Traditional tostadas are made with refried beans. For these simple breakfast tostadas we’re using refried black beans from A Dozen Cousins. A Dozen Cousins beans are 100% plant-based protein, always non-GMO, made with avocado oil, and naturally gluten free! They are so tasty too.
Breakfast tostada with eggs
We’re scrambling eggs for our breakfast tostadas but these would be great topped with a fried egg, or even sliced hard boiled eggs. Do your thing and make your eggs based on your preference.
Are tostadas healthy for you?
I think breakfast tostadas are pretty healthy. We’re loading the scrambled eggs with fresh pico de gallo. If you want to sneak in more veggies, you can add spinach to your eggs. You can even make it healthier by using egg whites.
How to make simple breakfast tostadas
Tostadas taste best fresh. However, if you happen to have leftovers they are still good the next day. Keep in an airtight container in the fridge and warm them in the over or toaster oven the next day to keep them crispy.
Simple Breakfast Tostadas
Simple breakfast tostadas are the perfect meal for a weekend brunch. The best part is you can load them up with your favorite toppings and they're great for sharing with your family.
- 9 mini corn tortillas
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cups refried black beans, warmed
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 9 eggs scrambled
- 1/4 cup milk (or non-dairy milk)
- salt and pepper
- *1 cups pico de gallo
- optional toppings: jalapenos, avocado, sour cream, fresh cilantro, cooked bacon, cooked chorizo.
- To make the tostadas: Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or foil for easy cleanup.
- On the baking sheets, spray or brush both sides of each tortilla lightly with olive oil. Arrange tortillas in a single layer.
- Bake tortillas for 10 minutes, turning halfway, until each tortilla is golden and lightly crisp.
- While the tortillas are baking, beat eggs and milk in a bowl. Add salt and pepper to eggs. Set aside
- Add pico de gallo to a lightly oiled skillet that is heated. Sautee pico de gallo for 5 minutes
- Add beaten eggs to the skillet and scramble with the pico de gallo. Set eggs aside
- Warm refried black beans in the microwave.
- To assemble, spread warm refried black beans over each tostada. Top with eggs and a sprinkle of cheese. Place tostadas on the baking sheet and return to the over for 5 minutes or until cheese melts.
- Top with any optional garnishes you’d like, and serve immediately.
Pico de gallo: fresh finely chopped tomatoes and onions, cilantro, fresh chili peppers
Vegetarian Breakfast tostadas
What I like about these tostadas is they complement so many dietary restrictions. They are gluten free and vegetarian.
What to top your breakfast with
Load them up with chorizo or bacon. Add avocado, black olives, jalapenos and cilantro. Top them off with sour cream.
If you make this recipe be sure to post it on Instagram and Facebook and tag @mochasandmimosas!
3 thoughts on “Simple Breakfast Tostadas”